|Map of the Sri Lankan island Manaar|
London: A. & J. Churchill, c.1750. The island of Mannar, off the north-west of Sri Lanka, with its Dutch fortress. The fort was built by the Portuguese in 1650, taken over first by the Dutch in 1650 and then by the British in 1795. Baldeaus, a Dutch missionary in the Malabar and Coromandel Districts, wrote about the Dutch settlements in Southern India.